The Other Side of Black-Episode Three-Is this proof of Bias in the Media

Failure of the media to place as much emphasis on missing minorities as it does on missing Caucasians first came to my attention when I saw a segment of a HSN production of Dr. Drew Show.  I had not given it much though before and honestly I have no one to blame for this but myself.  I was comfortable with seeing the overwhelming coverage of missing people in the media and some parts of me was okay in believing that this was not happening as much in the minority community.  I now beg for the forgiveness of all for not helping to apply as much pressure as one man could in forcing the media and all law enforcement to give missing minorities just as much coverage and attention as they do for the others.

In an article written by Tambay for Indiewire.com titled S. Epatha Merkerson To Host New TV One Series, "Find Our Missing" (Searching For Missing Black Americans) it is revealed that  “Nearly one-third of the missing in this country are black Americans, while we make up only 12 percent of the population. Yet stories about missing people of color are rarely told in the national media... Find Our Missing will be dramatic television, said TV One President and CEO Wonya Lucas.”  “TV One will premiere Find Our Missing, a Towers Productions 10-episode, one-hour docu-drama series Wednesday, January 18 at 10 PM ET.”   The premiere episode of this new series will feature stories of two people who vanished in 2009: Pamela Butler, a 47-year-old Program Analyst at the Environmental Protection Agency, who mysteriously disappeared from inside her Washington, D.C. home despite an elaborate security system and Hasanni Campbell, a sweet five-year-old boy suffering from cerebral palsy vanished from the Rockridge neighborhood in Oakland, California.”  It further states that “future episodes of Find Our Missing will feature: Yasmin Acree, a popular 15-year-old honor student on Chicago’s west side;  Althedia Vaught, a 41-year-old- grandmother-to-be in Tulsa;  Monica Bowie, a 34-year-old Atlanta woman;  48-year-old Hattie Brown, a Persian Gulf War veteran and the first female sergeant in her platoon; Tionda and Diamond Bradley, 10- and 3-year-old sisters from Chicago and so many more. 

I guess common sense should have told me that those I hear about on the news were not the only ones missing.  I am glad that TV One has decided to help educate people like me and make us see that this crime touches all of us whether directly or indirectly.  I felt a little bit of what I assume it feels like to go through a missing loved one when my 5 year old daughter did not get off the school bus just recently.  She was found to have been told that she would be picked up and stayed inside of the school but my mind was racing about so many other possibilities and the jump the abductor would have on me regarding time.  We all have been issued a challenge now and that challenge is to insure that every person who goes missing, regardless of color, receive the same amount of coverage and law enforcement assistance.  Are you up to the challenge?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review-Harlan Coben's Shelter

The Determination of History to Repeat Itself is Due to our Cowardice to Stop It

Something to Think About Regarding These State’s Abortion Bans