Veterans Right to Throw Medals Valid but Reported Reason not

It was reported in First Read that “a group of Iraq war veterans have pledged to toss their medals over the security fence surrounding the summit site in a symbolic protest. Matt Howard, a former U.S. Marine who served in Iraq, said 50 veterans planned to throw away their medals.  Vietnam War veteran Ron McSheffery, 61, said, "I'm in total support of stopping NATO and stopping the slaughter of innocent civilians. But one report stated that the reason some of them was throwing the medals was because their were no honor in the Iraq and Afghanistan War.

As a former US Marine, I am supportive of my fellow servicemembers exercising their right  to protest and the only restriction I would have would be the burning of the flag.  I take offense about the fact that there is no honor there.  I take this offense because it is not where or whom you fight that provides the honor but the way you fight and those standing by your side.  The honor is not in killing but protecting those who are not able to protect themselves.  Every time I look at my military uniform, I feel nothing but pride and honor cursing through my body.  It is not there because of the “slaughter of innocent civilians,” it’s because of the memories I have with those that served with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review-Harlan Coben's Shelter

The Determination of History to Repeat Itself is Due to our Cowardice to Stop It

Something to Think About Regarding These State’s Abortion Bans