How the little things can mean so much


Recently I was confronted by a problem of my adopted daughter trying to coordinate college with finishing high school on a good note.  She seemed quite concerned that figuring out which one to pursue more than the other was going to make her lose her mind.  My advice was to concentrate on that which was directly in front of her and I would assist with those things that may occur later.  That little three minute conversation seemed to be the best medicine because she left my presence singing.  It was then that I began to think about all of the small things that seem to dwarf the larger ones and even minimizes them.

I thought about my recent royalty check from AuthorHouse/Author Solutions.  While it amounted to only $41.00, it was $41 dollars that I did not have and it could easily allow me to purchase pull-ups for my three year old son.  Being unemployed for quite some time, that little check was enough to allow me to finally get a decent night sleep in quite a long time.  It is nothing like the checks you hear of other author’s receiving or my book is not on any of the Best Seller’s List but it is an accomplishment none the less.  It’s not about how big you can dream but whether you dream at all.

I see now that the little things you do are not as time consuming as some would have you believe.  Many times we fail to really pay attention to them, but they do amount to much more than many think.  When we think about making our lives have meaning, we often think of the big things when meaning could easily be hidden in the smaller ones.  I might not have the job, money, status or relationship that I dream about but I do have my health, my children and my God which is good enough for me.  A friend of mine made a statement once about people choosing not to hear the voice of God and I responded by saying that maybe it was not that they wish not to hear it but that they may not know it when they hear it because no one has ever explained to them what God’s voice sounds like. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review-Harlan Coben's Shelter

The Determination of History to Repeat Itself is Due to our Cowardice to Stop It

Something to Think About Regarding These State’s Abortion Bans