How to stop lying

After years of thought and observations, I believe that there is a single cause of why most people lie.  We tell our kids how important it is to tell the truth yet in certain situation we find ourselves circumventing that truth for one particular reason.  What is that reason you may ask, it’s fear.

Now let’s not imply or pretend that I am some sort of expert in this because I am not.  I am just a regular person with time enough on my hands to try and figure out why we do what we do.  I say lying is caused by fear because when you think about the times that you lied, think about the truth of why you lied.  I broke a window in the house when I was growing up and when asked who did it, my response was “I think I did”.  Now we all know that this was a lie because I was the only one in that room and I clearly know that I broke that window but I was afraid that my mother would yell or discipline me and I gave her as much of the truth as I could.  I gave her a half truth because the worst discipline we ever faced was when we blantantly lied to her.

What we have to do is examine the fear we have, we lie in court because we fear the concequeneces of our actions which have now caught up with us.  We lie to the opposite sex for fear of being rejected.  We lie because of fear and for no other reason even if we can convince ourselves that it wasn’t about fear.  I have an adopted daughter and if she had not been aware of it while it was happening, I might have decided to do as other adoptive parents have and not tell her that she was.  It would be a lie because I would fear she would leave me and go in search of the biological connection that she was missing.  We lie about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and other things like that for fear that our child will miss out of something magical or these things represent pleasant memories and we want them to have nothing but.  We lie because we fear something and or the result of telling the truth.  We lie because we can and we figure that no one will ever find out but when it is discovered, as it always will be, we then have a choice to either face the truth or lie again.  No fear should hold our soul so tightly that we choose to hid from what we will soon have to answer for anyway.  The first time you do anything will always be the toughest and after that it will get easier so when you run into a good liar, think about how often they practiced their craft.  Lying is like building a home, if you start off with that type of building material, pretty soon your entire house will be nothing but lies.  Fear not what tomorrow will bring because you currently have today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Determination of History to Repeat Itself is Due to our Cowardice to Stop It

The Sudden Concern about a Democracy in Decay

Know Yourself by Knowing Your Child