State owned liquor stores in Ohio may be an idea on increasing city revenue in Rockford

I wondered how my city of Rockford could increase revenue without raising taxes and cutting services, then I ran into this article from Corina Curry of the Rockford Register Star titled Sunday liquor hours extension heads to Rockford City Council.  I picked this article for the title only because it did not prove any real connection to what my article is about.  It did however; allow me to show the city searching for alternatives instead of doing nothing.

It has been reported that in Ohio one of its revenue streams came from the state owned liquor stores.  The revenue was reported at $288 million dollars a year which could go a long way in closing state budget gaps.  Now we are looking at the $288 million being the income for the entire State of Ohio and it will not be the amount that comes into Rockford, but just imagine the amount of revenue it could bring in.  It may also help curb some types of crime if those who attempt to rob these stores are acutely aware that they are city owned and monitored 24 hours a day and let’s not forget the number of jobs that this may create as well.  This may not be a viable idea in my city but it would be worth checking into it.  That’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Determination of History to Repeat Itself is Due to our Cowardice to Stop It

The Sudden Concern about a Democracy in Decay

Know Yourself by Knowing Your Child