Young Mexican Police Chief says No Mas


When I first heard about this, I thought of how brave this young lady was to step up and take on this job.  I was confident that she was aware of the dangers that she may face in accepting this job and marveled at her resolve to try and make a difference.

Learning now and through the Associated Press writer Juan Carlos Llorca article titled Young Mexican Police Chief Seeks U.S. Asylum, “Marisol Valles Garcia accepted the top law enforcement job in Praxedis G. Guerrero, a township near the Texas border overrun by drug violence.”   “Residents have said Garcia received death threats, and the ombudsman, Gustavo de la Rosa, said there may have been at least one attempt to kidnap her” makes me even surer that it took great courage to stand in that box waiting for whatever pitch was going to be thrown by the gangs who are fighting to control that area.  I applaud her tour of duty even if it was only about 6 months long because any amount of time in that capacity and risking her life is nothing short of what our military members do each and everyday.

As for the question of asylum, I really do not have a thought on that.  I would hope that every avenue is made open for her to pursue but the final decision will be up to people far more knowledgeable in that arena than I.    There were no mention if any of her family members were ever targeted by these groups for her willingness to step up so I do not know whether that should be a factor in their decision or not, what I do know is the bravery she showed by doing it and that should count for something.  That’s my opinion and I could be wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review-Harlan Coben's Shelter

The Determination of History to Repeat Itself is Due to our Cowardice to Stop It

The Sum Total of all our Experiences and our Reactions to Them By Dr. Ronnie Manns, NP, Psy,D., FAIHCP