Help, There’s a Teenager in My House

When I was growing up, I often times saw how kids treated their parents and looked back as to how I treated mine.  I decided that I was going to show my parents complete respect and try not to ever do anything that would be an embarrassment for them.  I had used them to measure what type of parent I wanted to be and what traits I would not copy.  I had a plan and I was determined to follow through on it.  That was before I became a parent.

It started off quite good when they were small and needed me more than there was hours in the day.  I can still hear myself wishing for the day that they can walk and talk which would make my life better.  I can still hear myself wishing that they could do some things on their own so that I can rest a little while longer.  I can still hear myself looking to that day when they were able to think for themselves and have that quiet time during the school year.

Not really sure what happened but the child that left my home this morning is not the same child that came back.  She looks the same and talks the same, she even has the same likes and dislikes but she is not the same.  I’m thinking that while she was at school, the school administration switched her with a look-a-like.  I began to question these strangers by asking them questions only the children who used to live in my house would know.  I asked them questions like their favorite color or what they got for Christmas last year or at what age did them finally learned how to ride a bike.  Don’t know how they knew all the right answers but I am still not convinced that they are who they claim to be.  They laughed at me when I was asking the questions but I just know that these people are not the same ones who left this morning.

Its night time now and they are all asleep.  I’ve looked in one them and yes they really do remind me of those sweet innocent children that I have come to love.  I can now hear my mother’s voice as she yelled through the house that she wish that our children turn out to be as bad as we were.  Was I really like this growing up?  It took some time but I think I have the answer.  It’s got to be as Bill Cosby once said that kids are brain damaged.  It starts as a teenager and continues until they reach twenty-one (21).  Somewhere during that time there brain goes on vacation and is replaced by something foreign that makes them think that they have all of the answers.  Judging by my son who’s reached 21 and beyond, it must come back from vacation rested and ready to make smarter decision and learn from mistakes.  Not really sure because the other kid that made it to 21 is still a little questionable.  I guess my mother’s curse worked.  Sorry mom.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review-Harlan Coben's Shelter

The Determination of History to Repeat Itself is Due to our Cowardice to Stop It

Something to Think About Regarding These State’s Abortion Bans