My happiest day turned out to be my saddest

When I walked across that parade deck
After thirteen weeks of strain
I strolled as more than a U.S. Marine
I strutted across as a man

After years of service in many different places
I began to yearn for home
Starting to count down the remaining days
Before that day would come

I looked forward to seeing the family
And walking the streets again
To sleeping as long as I wanted
And not having to dress in green

That day finally came
And it was time to turn the page
The ride home was filled with thoughts of what I might see
Of those who I might meet

The closer I got to home, my thoughts suddenly changed
Now I was thinking of what I was leaving
Stranger at the start but another family in the end
Names and faces that I may never see again

Something about knowing that they had my back
Knowing that they never judged
Knowing that they would never let me down
And knowing that they would lay down their live to save mine

I realized that nothing in this world
Could ever replace what I left behind
And though the people were no more
The memories would never fade

So on this Memorial Day
I salute all those I left behind
And all those who went before me
But mostly those still serving

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review-Harlan Coben's Shelter

The Determination of History to Repeat Itself is Due to our Cowardice to Stop It

Something to Think About Regarding These State’s Abortion Bans